Thank you for considering Touchstone Family Association as a potential practicum site.
Touchstone Family Association (TFA) has a long history of providing student counsellors with a placement that allows for the further development of skills and insight into “self” as a potential therapist. Under the guidance of a Registered Clinical Counsellor/Supervisor and access to a team of skilled counsellors. Students engage with clients in a respectful manner that places the clients in the role of expert in their lives.
Most students complete their placement in between six to eight months. During this time, students may work with individuals, couples, families and/or facilitate groups. Our clients are global citizens and represent all walks of life and experiences.
Students will work with clients in-person and virtually depending on need and safety. Practicums are available to students who are completing a Master’s degree in Counselling. We typically have two to four students at our site, which allows students to have a shared and supportive experience.
Expectations of Students in the Program
- The minimum length of practicum is 6 months; although some take up to eight months to complete
- A minimum of 2.5 days a week is required which ideally consist of consecutive days and include a Wednesday morning so students can participate in Group Clinical Supervision. A commitment of 21 hours per week is required.
- All sessions with clients require video recording- the agency will provide resources for taping
- Class 5 driver’s license is required and the appropriate insurance or students may choose to use TFA vehicles for outreach work.
- Valid First Aid and CPR certification
- The ability to perform physical activities with clients is required
- Outreach into the community; working within client’s homes (If safe to do so) and working independently is encouraged to reduce barriers for clients
- Participation in client groups is strongly encouraged
- Evening availability is required
**The Clinical Supervisor can amend the above requirements.
- TFA offers between 60-90 minutes of individual supervision each week.
- There are 1-2 clinical group/supervision meetings each month
- Students are provided a comfortable workspace with a phone and computer.
- Students are provided with training as it becomes available to staff
- Students are provided with equipment to videotape their sessions.
If you are interested in practicum student opportunities please contact Clinical Supervisor Ashwin Sharma-MA-RCC